Friday 16 July 2010

World Vision Church

For my first Sunday in Daejeon I decided to check out a Korean church. World Vision Church was recommended to me by a Korean friend at my church in Virginia. Its close enough to be walking distance from KAIST, but I was running late so I took a taxi. (Side note: Taking a picture of directions from Google Maps is a great way to tell a taxi driver where to go.) From talking to some folks before the service, it seems like its mostly Presbyterian. I had two great translators. Amy, a student at Liberty University in Virginia who is back for the summer visiting her family. And Thomas, who taught himself English.
 Most of the service was similar to any American protestant church I've been to. But there were also some unique aspects that I really liked. First, they have several services throughout Sunday and the rest of the week. On Sunday, they have three services. But its more like a single service with three parts because everybody attends all of the services and different messages are given at each service. There's one from 9-10am, another from 11-12, then theres a lunch, and another service from 2:30-3pm. I stayed for the first two services but had to leave before lunch started.

Another neat thing is that their Bibles have the hymnal printed in the back. Below is a picture of the English-Korean Bible they let me borrow so the lyrics are translated as well.
Some other neat stuff: There was a lady in the back with a laptop who was transcribing the entire message, which is then posted online for anybody who could not make it. They also videotape each service and stream it live on the internet. The pastor used a chalkboard to jot down notes as he presented the sermon. And just about everybody in the congregation was actively taking notes.
All in all, a really neat experience. I'll probably end up going back when I'm in town on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment