Saturday 28 August 2010

Jecheon

On my way to the airport to go to Japan, I took a quick detour to visit Dr. Bohee Lee, a professor at Semyung University. Dr. Lee was a visiting researcher at RoMeLa for a year and just got back to Korea about two weeks ago. He graciously invited me to visit, so I found some train tickets which gave me about 4 hours in Jecheon for a quick visit.
Even though we only had 4 hours, we managed to see some really nice spots. After a breakfast of Dak Galbi, we stopped by a few places that are used as sets for television shows and films. First were some interesting rock formations and then a set designed to look like a traditional village.
Our next stop was Cheongpung Land, which had a huge rock climbing wall, a huge bungee jump, a modern sculpture park, and a nice view of the Cheongpung Bridge.
Next we went to the Cheongpung Cultural Heritage Park, which is a preserved traditional folk village. These buildings were actually relocated here to prevent them from being submerged when a dam was built. Preserving the culture is important enough for an entire village to be relocated.
We also got a nice view of Asia's largest water fountain (162m, 530ft). I want one of these on Virginia Tech's campus. The one and only fountain at VT is maybe 1.5m tall.
Some more highlights:
I'd say we did pretty well for only having 4 hours. Jecheon has lots more to offer so it would be nice to visit again when I have more time. Maybe next time I'm in Korea. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment