Wednesday 4 August 2010

Suwon & Galbi

Suwon is a city about 20 miles south of Seoul and is famous for the Hwaseong Fortress, which surrounds most of the city. Built from 1794-1796, the fortress wall is 3.6 miles in length. For being a wall there was an awful lot of steps involved.
Below: (Left) Chimneys used to send warning signals. (Right) I spotted an enemy off in the distance. Nobody seemed to care.
Towards the end of our walk around the wall, we practiced our archery skills. Danielle hit the near target the most times (twice), but I won on distance.
After walking up and down the Hwaseong Fortress wall, we decided to get Galbi for dinner, which Suwon is famous for. Galbi is marinated beef rib meat that is cooked on a grill built into the table much like Samgyeopsal (Korean bacon). And even though I really enjoy bacon, I'd have to say that Galbi is my favorite Korean dish so far. After dinner, we saw what was left of a stolen bicycle, the first evidence of crime in Korea which seems fairly rare.
The next morning we went up to Seoul where I got my three seconds of fame on live Korean TV...more on that later.

For the complete photo album of everything in this post go here: 


Feel free to ask questions if theres anything you want to know more about.

No comments:

Post a Comment